Consulting Actuary - Pension-9432
Client looking to add an experienced Consulting Actuary to their growing practice. This will involve senior consulting and project management responsibilities for Public Sector pension and OPEB valuation clients.
This role will have accountability for providing a high level of consulting expertise and actuarial services (valuations and reports, special projects and other relevant consulting projects) to assigned public sector retirement system clients. The internal responsibilities include final reviewing, managing projects, mentoring/guiding others, and providing technical guidance on complex client projects and related actuarial issues. The external responsibilities include frequent consulting with retirement system staff as well as more formal presentations to the systems’ Boards of Trustees.
Candidate must have:
• a competent understanding of complex actuarial concepts, methods and applications
• the ability to creatively apply this knowledge in a variety of problem-solving situations
• a big picture orientation to understanding, defining and responding to client needs and
• the ability to develop and gain support for recommendations in response to complex issues.
Duties to include:
• Reviewing valuation reports and actuarial projects to ensure high quality client deliverables
• Applying an understanding of complex actuarial concepts, methods and applications in a variety of situations
• Providing technical guidance to and mentoring junior colleagues
• Initiating and participating on special projects to address emerging and/or unique retirement issues.
• Frequent consulting with client system staff, including providing guidance on complex issues
• Presenting routine valuation reports and special project reports at retirement Board meetings
• FSA credential, or near FSA and EA required
• 8+ years of pension actuarial experience to include working in an employee benefits consulting environment
• strong client service skills and technical expertise
• excellent communication (verbal/written) and interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with both staff and retirement Board audiences
• experience with Public Sector defined benefit plans (experience with Multiemployer plans beneficial)