OPEB Actuary - Pension - 9874
Unique opportunity for an OPEB Consulting Actuary who enjoys both consulting to clients and digging into the numbers. Excellent future growth prospects to be or become the lead consultant for several existing OPEB clients and develop into an OPEB expert. Depending on the level of the candidate, will either be expected to develop or assist with developing new business. Consultant will provide OPEB consulting services to public, private sector, and multiemployer clients. The ideal candidate should be an FSA, EA, MAAA with significant experience in OPEB consulting. Ideally (but not a requirement), the candidate would have their FSA in the health track. Candidate should have knowledge of health insurance plans
(self-insured and fully insured), understand rating of health plans and knowledge of funding techniques for OPEB. Furthermore, the candidate will have significant knowledge of at least one of the following: GASB 74/75, FASB ASC 715, 958, and FASB ASC 965. The candidate must be well-versed in ProVal and willing and able to complete runs. Strong Excel skills are required. In addition, knowledge and ability to use OptumInsight is a plus, but training will be provided as
needed. The successful candidate should be able to both complete and review OPEB actuarial result
• Enjoys presenting actuarial OPEB results to clients in a clear and easy to understand manner in order to help clients solve challenging problems.
• Enjoys analyzing the results and digging into the numbers for accuracy (hands-on).
• Has a passion for accuracy of results without being constrained by unreasonable budgets.
• Understands employer-sponsored compliance perspectives, e.g., GASB 74/75, FASB ASC 715, 958, and FASB ASC 965 accounting standards as well as Affordable Care Act and other regulatory requirements.
• Ability to work on multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Develop or assist in developing new business.
• Ability to manage projects.
Required Skills and Competencies:
• Must be a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) and an Enrolled Actuary (EA).
• Must have experience with retiree medical plan actuarial valuations (e.g., required accounting reports, liability determination, funding analysis, etc.).
• Must have experience thoroughly reviewing actuarial results in detail and enjoy being involved at multiple levels of the employer-sponsored health care consulting work.
• Must possess strong oral and written communication skills, i.e., ability to communicate complex actuarial issues clearly and concisely to a non-technical audience.
• Must be able to lead client and internal client team meetings.
• Must be able to manage several complex projects and clients, i.e., manage deadlines and develop methodologies that work within deadlines and client-set budgets.
• Must be able to maintain client relationships and manage client contract and invoicing processes.
• Excels at managing personal and project workflow.
• Oversees the work of client team staff, as well as mentor and train staff.
• Communicates and works cooperatively with other senior consultants.
• Must have ability to reach out to other experts and get work peer reviewed prior to release.
• Expertise in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Expertise in ProVal
• Claims analytical experience
• Expertise in OptumInsight a plus
• Eligibility processing in databases expertise a plus
• Business development skills a plus
• Travel required
• Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university
• Seven to 30+ years of OPEB actuarial consulting experience