Senior Associate Actuary - REMOTE - 9532
Client looking for at least an ASA level health actuary who's interested in doing a little bit of everything as well as interest in being advanced when it comes to technical skills, specifically SQL and R. This role will be responsible for all actuarial tasks for various products. Projects will include claim reserving, pricing, underwriting, forecasting, analysis of provider behavior, and more. In addition, this individual will also be responsible for performing annual rate filings. This person will also serve as the supervisor for the actuarial intern program.
· Hire, manage, and develop actuarial intern staff.
· Provide ongoing coaching and counsel to actuarial intern staff regarding performance, including annual performance reviews and establishing individual goals
· Lead claim reserving for organization and its subsidiaries
· Develop and maintain manual rating models used for employer group dental and vision business
· Perform actual to expected analysis and post mortem pricing analysis
· Develop and update standard reports analyzing utilization, discounts, claims costs, revenue, and margins
· Complete rate and other DOI filings and actuarial memorandums required in the various states they operate in
· Develop IBNR estimates for self-insured clients and provide signed actuarial memorandums
· Support development & implementation of data & information strategy, working collaboratively with other stakeholders
· Assist Underwriting teams with group specific requests, pooled renewal development, and experience rated renewal and prospect rating tools
· Develop/update/maintain/create other models used to support the organization
· Assist Financial Planning & Analysis with annual claims/revenue budget planning process and ongoing forecasting
· Assist with analytics supporting the Finance, Provider Relations, and Marketing departments
· Recommend solutions to improve sales, persistency, and underwriting margin while controlling and mitigating risks
· Present and explain actuarial concepts, results and recommendations to Senior Leadership
· Present and explain actuarial concepts and results to non-technical audiences
· Stay well informed of actuarial and industry trends; travel as needed to professional seminars
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited college required; math or business degree preferred.
· Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) or Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) credential is required.
· Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) credential is required.
· 3 or more years of actuarial work experience in the health insurance industry required.
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel required; intermediate knowledge of SQL and Microsoft Access is required.
· Ability to perform detailed calculations and independently solve complex problems.
· Exemplary verbal and written communication skills required.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
· Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines.
· Ability to lead, manage, train, and mentor employees.